4. After-Market Oil Additives
Caterpillar does not recommend the use of aftermarket additives in oil. It is not necessary to use aftermarket additives in order to achieve the machines maximum
service life or rated performance. Fully formulated, finished oils consist of base oils and of commercial additive packages. These additive packages are blended into the base
oils at precise percentages in order to provide finished oils with performance characteristics that meet industry standards.
There are no industry standard tests that evaluate the performance of aftermarket additives in oil. There are also no industry standard tests that evaluate the compatibility
of these aftermarket additives in a finished oil. Aftermarket additives may not be compatible with the finished oils additive package, which could lower the performance
of the finished oil. The aftermarket additive could fail to mix with the finished oil. This could produce sludge. Caterpillar discourages the use of aftermarket additives in
To achieve the best performance from a Caterpillar engine, obey the following guidelines
1. Select the proper Caterpillar oil or a commercial oil that meets the specifications of the compartment.
2. To find the correct viscosity grade for your machine, see the table in the Operation and Maintenance Manual, Lubricant Viscosities information.
3. At the specified interval, service the engine or service the compartment. Use new oil and install a new oil filter.
4. Perform maintenance at the intervals that are specified in Operation and Maintenance Manual, Maintenance Interval Schedule.
5. Lubricating Grease
Caterpillar provides a number of greases in order to cover a variety of applications and extreme temperature conditions. See your Caterpillar dealer or see Special
Publication, PECP4025, One Safe Source for the part numbers.
Note: Some greases may not be used with other greases. When you use commercial grease, make sure that the grease is compatible with the grease that is currently used
in your system. If you have any questions concerning the compatibility of your grease, consult your supplier.
6. Multipurpose Greases
Multipurpose Lithium Complex Grease MPGL
Multipurpose Lithium Complex Grease is a National Lubricating Grease Institute NLGI No. 2 general purpose lithium complex grease for medium duty applications.
This product has good characteristics at high temperatures such as a dropping point